Getting To Know.....The Shire!!!!
1) Welcome To Vital Blackburn! Tell us a little about yourself, where you from, why Blackburn, favourite all time Rover....
Where do I start, there's four questions in there! I started following Blackburn (and football!) back when Hughes was in charge and led me following the news daily. I traced part of my heritage to the Blackburn area, where my dad informed me that that small town had a team in the top-flight. I now had a team to call my own and talk to him about the EPL (he's a gunner but watching us every week now. he's crazy into footie and i'm getting there too). I wear my rover's jersey around the GTA and get bizarre looks (it's all Big Four over here in Canada).
Samba is a cult figure for me after watching him put his heart and soul into the relegation battle last year. I'll play fifa at a friend's place and start shouting SAAAAAMBAAA!!! I've watched the legends in clips but joining late in the game I don't have any emotional attachment to them.
2) Nearing the half way stage of the season, in your own words, describe the season up til now...
Better than last season! We might have picked up a few more points so far (City, Sunderland, Stoke), but we've faced three of the big four and will face liverpool on the weekend, so not bad at all. Stabilizing and keeping us out of the relegation zone are the key parts of this season and we've done well.
3) With the transfer window only a month away from opening, do you think we will open up the cheque book and bring some players in, will we have to sell to buy?
We're going to sell to buy. Thankfully Sam knows how to bring in great talent on the cheap and I think that will help us punch above our weight in coming years, but not immediately. If we do shell out, it'll be an investment on someone with great potential that we'll be able to turn around and sell for much more. Like the 'Zonz; amazing purchase but can't see him staying a rover long. The money we make from him will pay some debt and bring in a stable mid-range player that will sell like-for-like or an injury prone star while bringing in another unknown with great potential. Moving up the ladder slowly.
4) Where do you think is the weakest part of our squad at the moment. Who do you think will strengthen that area of the squad, considering our finances.....
I think I read somewhere that it's been a policy for our club to have two players for every position. Bringing in another striker would mean one would have to go and I think our four starters are quite good, so I'd go with midfield. With Dunn, Grella, and Emerton back we have a bit more depth so Pederson and Andrews can go and we can get another midfielder in. Hoilett (if he ever signs his contract!) can take Pederson's spot.
5) The World Cup Draw this weekend is an event millions around the globe, including myself (at 4am in the morning) will be tuning into.....Who do you hope to avoid in the group stages, and who do you think will be an underdog....
Holland is my #1. Closely, very closely! followed by England, who I'd like to avoid until the finals. I'd also like to avoid Brazil just because they are doing well at the moment. Paraguay will be the surprise underdog that have my support (arms will be crossed if RSC appears on the pitch however).
6) Where will Rovers finish, who will take out the EPL, who will get relegated!!
Rovers: Between 10-12
EPL Title: Chelsea - Consistency and depth, week in and week out.
Relegated: Wolves, Portsmouth, and either Bolton or Hull. If Bolton get rid of Megson then they might be okay.
An absolute Cracker of a read! Well in Mr Shire!!!
If you would like to be part of Getting To Know, please send me a private message with your email address. There are still a few outstanding VBERS who have not got back to me, so if your still keen, let me know and we will change the interview!!!