Date:Friday August 24 2007
I've recently got in touch with one of the Co-eds from Vital Toffee land who has agreed to share his thoughts on all things Everton and Blackburn for the upcoming game. Here's what he had to say!
1. Before your very good start, what were your hopes for Everton this season? Have they changed at all with the start you have had?
I think it was always our ambition to keep moving the club forward, and after a decent start that hasn`t changed. Last season we did brilliantly to finish 5th. This season, now the squad has that little bit more experience and quality, maybe we could better that. David Moyes certainly seems to think so!
2. What do you think is the most likely route for you to win something this season? UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup or is a Champions League place more important?
It is funny you should mention that as it is currently a poll being conducted on our site. I think the Premier League should always be your bread and butter. David Moyes will have learnt from our last flirt with Europe that It can distract you from the league, which is bad. I think there is nothing stopping us from having a good cup run this season, and Goodison will look forward to those evening Uefa Cup games we have craved!
3. What is your impression of your new signings so far?
I think so far we have spent wisely. A lot of pressure is being put on managers who perhaps over spend. This puts the likes of David Moyes and Mark Hughes in a win win position. If they don`t have a good season, it is because they haven`t invested as heavily as the likes of Tottenham. If they do have a good season then they will receive a lot of credit for doing so without massive investment.
4. Following on from that, it is likely that Yakubu will make his debut against Rovers on Saturday; no doubting that he`s a good player but £11 Million? Davey Moyes over paying and maybe panic buying do you think?
I disagree, I had to think for a while about whether or not Yakubu would be worth the money. But if you look at the stats, he has hit double figures consistently since he`s been in the Premier League. I have no doubt Darren Bent will score goals for Spurs, despite the massive price tag, and I think the same applies to Yakubu.
5. Who`s Everton`s main danger man that Sparky and Rovers have to be wary of in the upcoming game?
It depends really. Mikel Arteta would be the obvious candidate, however if Yakubu and Manuel Fernandes debut, they could pose a threat also.
6. Are there any Rovers players in particular that you are not looking forward to seeing line up against Everton?
Blackburn have some real quality. We aren`t that much different in the respect we have warhorses like Stubbs and Nelsen, and real quality like Arteta and Pedersen. Morten always seems to play well against us, and I am a fan of Derbyshire too.(Ed. HDM will be happy, another convert to the church or Derbs!!!)
7. Hopefully, Rovers will join you in the 2nd round proper of the UEFA cup, what are your thoughts on the competition, i.e. is it a serious one for Everton or is it viewed as a distraction?
It`s a massive opportunity for Everton and one the fans and players intend to relish this time around. I think the fact we played in the Champions League before we played Uefa Cup football last time around took the sheen off the idea of playing in the competition. This time we intend to make the most of it, without of course taking our eyes off league form.
8. Is there one player in Blackburn`s squad that you would love to see at Everton and why?
We have a real lack of left sided players at Everton, which is why signing Leighton Baines was a real coup. In that respect I would love to see Morten Gamst Pedersen in an Everton shirt.
9. What are your thoughts on Blackburn as a team, are you in agreement with Mr. "I did not see it" Wenger or is it a case of mud slinging to mask his team`s deficiencies?
I think sometimes the likes of Wenger, Benitez and Ferguson forget that if the 'lesser` teams of the league are going to compete with their endless spending then they are going to have to play to their strengths. If that means fighting hard for every 50/50 ball then so be it, it is part and parcel of English football and has been since the beginning.
10. Finally, What is your prediction for the game???
I think we are in for a good game to be honest. There will be goals aswell, but we`ll scrape it 2-1.
There we have it ladies and gents. All that remains is to with Everton a successful season, naturally, this coming Saturday excepted! Thanks to the Vital Toffee Posse for this Q&A.
NOT REGISTERED TO VITAL BLACKBURN? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR! Register by clicking here.
Date:Friday August 24 2007
Stats: Blackburn v Fulham (Saturday January 31 2015)
Blackburn Rovers v Fulham - Team Line-Ups (Saturday January 31 2015)
Rovers Preview: Fulham (H) (Saturday January 31 2015)
Rovers Secure Spearing (Saturday January 31 2015)
Stick or twist (Friday January 30 2015)
Team News: Blackburn v Fulham (Friday January 30 2015)
Rovers Revival Must Start Saturday! (Friday January 30 2015)
Bowyer Finally Gets Spearing?? (Friday January 30 2015)
Blackburn MotM Against Derby (Friday January 30 2015)
An Odd Decision!! (Thursday January 29 2015)
|10. Sheff Wed||28||9||11||8||-4||38|
|A Game We Could Have Won?
» Fulham : 01/02/2015 11:14:00
|The Addicks Lack Passion.
» Charlton : 01/02/2015 11:04:00
|Watford To Appeal After Angella Red
» Watford : 01/02/2015 11:04:00
|Wigan Athletic Transfers - Two More Due In
» Wigan : 01/02/2015 10:47:00
|RUFC - Evans 'I Had Big Decisions To Make'
» Rotherham : 01/02/2015 10:30:00